Sunday, May 22, 2011

A simple nursery song

 This song was sung to me by my mother when I was a child and now is being passed down to the next generations. I tried to look up its origin, but I could not find out, other than it is in the public domain:
Tell me why the stars do shine,
Tell me why the ivy twines,
Tell me why the skies are blue,
And I will tell you just why I love you.

Because God made the stars to shine,
Because God made the ivy twine,
Because God made the sky so blue,
Because God made you, that's why I love you.

It has a very simple, soothing tune. I have watched as little ones relax and seem to understand the words. It can be part of the bedtime routine. I like to take the toddlers and look out the window and say goodnight to all the animals, seen or unseen - we start with the usual ones one might find in the neighborhood like a cat, dog, bird; then we move on to the barnyard animals such as the horse, cow, pig; and next we say good night to some zoo animals such as the elephant, giraffe, and panda bear.  A prayer is said thanking God for the family members and ask that He watch over them while they sleep. And then I sing a couple of songs, including Tell Me Why. Their bodies stretch out and turn over, their minds drift off to a place where they know they are safe and secure.

I hope you can end your day the same way - saying goodnight through a mental checklist, thanking God for the ones you care about, and perhaps remembering an old tune or church hymn that warms your heart and lets you drift off to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment