Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all women. Mother's Day of course has the history where a daughter wanted to honor her mother and it became a national tradition. That is a great a idea, in part. I think it is much more and it is my belief that all women are born with a nurturing instinct. I also want to recognize women who helped me as a child but were not my mother: the local librarian, my 6th grade teacher, my Girl Scout leader, and others who set good examples, cared about us children, and taught us something along the way.

Women are nurturers all the time, not just with children. I always say as soon as you get married you better start carrying the "mother" purse. You end up holding his keys, sunglasses, water bottle, to name a few and then he will turn to you and ask if you have medicine for a headache, a tissue, a tape measure, a pen and paper, etc. Just carry a big bag with lots of supplies in it and be assured they will be used.

I pause on days like this and think of the large sisterhood I belong to and am ever grateful for it. So many things I do come from an idea I heard about from another woman. Not just a recipe, but her thought processes, her organizational skills, her priorities. There's another thing--ever hear that you do something just like your mother? What if your mother heard the same thing about the exact same trait coming from her mother? What if...and so forth that if could be traced back to Mother Eve. A pretty incredible woman, Eve. Like some people have a "kick the bucket list", I have a "Heavenly People list" and if I am fortunate to reach Heaven, she is definitely someone I want to chat with. I would thank her for my appreciation of music, for that is what I learned from my mother. Mom taught us the American folklore, patriotic, and earlier songs of her parents' generation. She was a pretty good singer herself. Wonder what trait you would trace back in your maternal genealogy? What ever it is, each woman adds to the bouquet of Mother's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment