Friday, May 13, 2011

Random Facts Friday May 13, 2011

Hi all,
Let's see if you know these random facts.
Would love to hear your comments!

1.  This week the Journal of the American Medical Association(JAMA) published a study of 3,681 people that correlated their salt intake with hypertension and cardiovascular disease and death. The results are clear: People with greater salt intake have significantly less heart disease and death from it.

2. More and more people are getting into organic gardening. They want to grown their own food and know their fertilizers are organic too. You can increase crop yields with this organic fertilizer farming technique,http://plantibalism.com/ . You are using plants as food for other plants.

3. Looking for some easy summer reading? Like mysteries? I have the perfect list for you! I just happened to find this website: http://www.cozy-mystery.com/ The one who compiled the list has a couple of criteria --"of the cozy mysteries that I read (usually) take place in a small, picturesque town or village, with characters who I could envision having as neighbors or friends. (Of course, once I find out who the killer is, I wouldn't particularly want that person living next to me!) They are usually not zany people, although an eccentric or two might lurk here and there.  On the whole, they are usually normal, every day characters you might have known at one time in your life.  Cozies don't usually involve a lot of gory details or explicit "adult situations," either. Also, most of the books that I choose to read belong to a series."(Sorry for the bold - comes from the website). I had already read the Brother Cadfael mystery and The Cat Who mystery series before I found this list and saw they qualified, which gave me an idea of the type of books that I could find on the list. Now that it is getting close to Memorial Day, I am getting excited to chose my next series.

4. Almonds are entirely dependent on honeybee pollination. Apples, cherries, and sunflowers are 90% dependent.

5. To store fresh strawberries: Leaving the cap on the berry until just before you use it will make them last longer. Fresh strawberries should be stored in a shallow, airtight container.  Therefore for best quality, rinse right before eating and consume within 24-36 hours of picking, if you are lucky to pick your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment