Saturday, June 18, 2011

Alone in the Car: Drilling in Lake Erie

This week the Ohio Senate passed a bill allowing oil/gas drilling on state lands. The bill did not include provisions for drilling in Lake Erie. U.S. Congress has passed such a bill some time ago, and Ohio governors from both sides of the aisle have said they see no need to have an Ohio law so long as there is a federal law in place.

I want to bring attention to my blog readers about a concerted effort on the part of Great Lake states not to drill under the Great Lakes. HOWEVER, that has not stopped Canada. And if you are a regular reader of this blog, you will recall that Canada is the number 1 supplier of oil/gas to this country. Canada does indeed drill under Lake Erie. At the end of this blog, I have a news article that includes a photo of a Canadian drill in the lake.

So if I understand this correctly, Canada theoretically is drilling under Lake Erie, taking "Ohio" gas/oil from us and then selling it back to us... ok, greater, smarter minds have thought of something that I haven't figured out yet. Don't get me wrong, I am for preserving the Great Lakes. I am just asking about the economics of this. 

Would appreciate your thoughts.

News article on Ohio Senate passing bill:

The photo:
http://thinkprogress.org/green/2011/05/24/175034/drill-lake-erie/

1 comment:

  1. I am torn between protecting the environment and being a realist. I understand the desire to limit drilling and not waste natural resources, while at the same time knowing we are a world who is dependent on it. Until we truly utilize another outlet of energy I am afraid we are stuck.

    ReplyDelete