Saturday, June 25, 2011

Alone in the Car: Free Enterprise System

Today I ventured into the free enterprise system the way it was meant to be: The Garage Sale. We have neighborhood farm markets as do other countries, flea markets, etc. but I do believe we may be the only country where people sell their goods on their driveways and garages. I think it is wonderful! Some items are slightly used, really used, or brand new. Wheeling and dealing take place between the owner and the bargain seeker. I have been both and enjoy the whole experience, either way. For me there is something about the face-to-face exchange. No logistics, no distributor, no manufacturer or farmer, no government. Just me and them.

If I am the seeker, it is the the thrill of the hunt. Can I find the missing plate to the set for 10 cents? Today I found some vintage clothing and called up a friend who is the costumer for a local theater group. That is the fun part.

Free enterprise seems to work most of the time for most of the people. Why can't we take the Garage Sale theory and apply it to the larger scale of doing business? I know the rules of garage sales. They are pretty simple. So far the government has stayed out of it. Though with most states in debt, the federal government way past debt and into the abyss, the banks always looking for new charges, the airplane companies doing the same thing, don't be too surprised if cities come up with something for Garage Sales. I am just saying....

No comments:

Post a Comment