Friday, September 16, 2011

Alone in the Car: Presidential Debates

Before I jot some thoughts down on the subject, I would be remiss if I did not give mention to tomorrow's significance. Saturday is Constitution Day. People rarely discuss it, but I hope you will do something to honor those heroes who created such an enduring document and legacy--light a candle, read something in Wikipedia, say a prayer or pay your respects, or even read the Constitution. It didn't take me too long to read it though I must admit the pondering part added more minutes than if I had read it straight through. See my July 2nd blog: http://emilyspanoramicview.blogspot.com/search/label/Founding%20Fathers

Now about the debates. I am looking at this from a non-party viewpoint. 1. Is there any time in between presidential races? 2. Does the sitting president get to work as opposed to run for the next race? I am not talking about the opposing party discussing legislation. That is another issue. I am only asking about running for office. 3. Why do debates of the opposing party start so early? 4. Why do we need so many of them? We have multiple ways of communication/media. Are all of them needed?

I watched part of a Republican debate. The candidates were not given the same question. Some candidates were given more questions than others. Some questions were "set ups" if you will and not as objective as I, a citizen prefer them to be. How am I supposed to make a decision if not everyone is given the same chance to speak, if the questions are not objective, and candidates are given preferential treatment by the host?

I personally like Iowa's caucuses. It is people sitting down together and deciding as a group, what is going to happen. A town meeting if you will. The presidential candidates have to meet people face-to-face, answer specific questions, and look people in the eye. There are no bright lights, no stage, no broad smiles. This is where the rubber meets the road. And just for a bit of time, maybe even for a few seconds, the candidate has to forget the memorized response and answer as if no one else is in the room. I envy those living in Iowa.

No comments:

Post a Comment