Saturday, September 10, 2011

Alone in the Car: First Responders

It is just passed midnight, Saturday night. I have been pondering what I would write for several days now. I knew my theme would be the 10th anniversary of the tragic events of September 11th.

For all the memories and thoughts that I have, on several levels, they always find their way to the responders and those who supported them--emergency workers, construction teams, the restaurant owners who fed them free of charge and the untold unsung heroes who reached out at or very near the site. I cannot count how many times since that fateful day I have thought of those people and their dedication to serving others.

September 11th is one of those "forks in the road" for many people, some say for a particular generation who were just children when the event occurred. I think it certainly defined a new era for our nation. We now have to be ever vigilant. Our peripheral vision is forever in the "on" position. We cannot fully relax.

We can find a bit of solace, we can find trust. We can establish a core of relationships, similar to what first responders have. This will create a culture of quality, a protecting sphere around us and our loved ones.

The ones who died that day are with the angels now. But we can use their example to find some peace here on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment