Monday, June 4, 2012

Alone in the Car: Civilization in Reverse



Ok, this is a follow-up to the May 18th blog: A time for preparation? See:
http://emilyspanoramicview.blogspot.com/2012/05/alone-in-car-time-for-preparation.html  
I suggested to my readers they plan for another 2008 economic downfall.
I took my own advice and have made some plans myself.

Now, think about the future in another way by reading these news articles:




These articles are about Europe and Asia and the possible downfall of these countries within 3-6 months. It is interesting that the authors are from completely different points of view and yet have come up with the same conclusion. That is what caught my attention.

Why reverse civilization? Because that is what we may be looking at. Think about a how a civilization starts. People do everything themselves on their farm, ranch, or home. Then come cottage industries followed by small businesses springing up in villages and towns. Finally factories, manufacturing, and large companies appear in cities. Now think about this going backwards. You end up with small businesses in towns close to your home and families making money through cottage industries.

Look around now and start making a list of independent small businesses in your town. These may be the ones to survive if we are headed into an economic crisis later this year and through 2013. Their supply lines could stay open when larger companies depend upon global shipping lines and global finance which could be affected. Start frequenting these stores now and support your local economy.

Also consider start making something at home. Get on the web and find recipes for everything from cleaning supplies to making bread. Think about your natural skills and interests and pursue creating something you normally would buy.

I am committed to being more self sufficient. I am committed to making a list of small businesses in my area. It certainly won't hurt, could improve my household budget, and I believe I am planning ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment