Monday, November 14, 2011

Alone in the Car: Peripheral Vision

Recently, a woman was found wondering a country road. The person who found her, an attorney, called police and she was taken to a near-by hospital. Her story--she was at a fast food restaurant drive-through window, 2 men got into her van, one raped her after they had told her to drive around for some time, and she ended up on this country road. See: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/11/08/woman-says-she-was-kidnapped-raped.html

It took me a few minutes to absorb this story when I first read it. You mean to tell me that when this lady was at a McDonald's drive-through, 2 males climbed into her car? Apparently she did not see the face of the one sitting in the seat behind her, only the one sitting next to her who raped her. I have not read anything about security tapes. There is a police artist sketch of him: http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=0fe36c069bae69228ad5a76de&id=fc69905774&e=21461b6503


I read history to get a handle on current events, to see if the powers-that-be are using the same strategies that were used before(with success or not)and what we may learn through evaluation of those events.  Or have they something new they are presenting that has merit? The incident at McDonalds begs the question, "What part of history are we repeating now?" for I do not consider what happened to be an isolated one. What part of history would criminals feel comfortable enough to get away with jumping into a car at a fast food drive-through at 5:30pm? Or is the question, not only when in history, but where? In either case, the criminals were unafraid.


I am not scared, just more determined. I try to have my peripheral vision on all the time, but I can't honestly say I have been 100% alert of my surroundings when paying for my hamburger or chicken sandwich. Now I know. Now I will do.


Just reminders/tips/ideas:
1. My blockwatch group is an active one. They keep me informed about what is going on around the neighborhood and in the general area. I am geniunely appreciative of these volunteers. Consider starting one or financially supporting those who do. 


2. Remember what you were told, even as a child--lock doors, park under a light, look in the back of the car before getting in, don't talk with people you don't know, where possible have a buddy system, remember where you parked your car, etc. 


3. Let someone know where you will be--your schedule, who you will be with, location, etc. Call along the way/during the day. Just common sense that confirms you take yourself and those you care about seriously.


These are not new, but we need to re-new our commitment to be ever vigilent, having our "eyes in the back of heads", watching for details, etc. When you know your path/route, then you walk/drive with confidence and can be aware of your surroundings. Practice remembering details. 


Everyone has talents and abilities. By combining yours with others, your group (family, friends, etc.) will stay safe and contribute to the well-being of your community.

No comments:

Post a Comment