Friday, January 6, 2012

Alone in the Car: Time Zones and Sun Dials

The earth, sun, and moon have been around for awhile. From my way of thinking, they have been around longer than people. People created measurement of time, not the solar system. I particularly want to discuss time zones and hours of the day.

Apparently, when Benjamin Franklin was alive, he proposed something similar to daylight savings time for the convenience of business as well as pleasure. My guess it was for organizational purposes, consistency, etc. Also, railroads needed time zones for the same purposes as they grew into a transcontinental industry. Apparently towns had set their own clocks, but you can imagine the state of confusion that would have created for railroads and others. Even through WWI, nothing was really standardized. Even to this day, Arizona and Hawaii still don't participate in daylight savings time and I believe parts of Indiana also. And I just mentioned in my Random Facts that Samoa just moved itself to the other side of the dateline to be in line with Australia and New Zealand.

I think we need to just go back to the sun and use a sundial. No one can dispute that.
Then the question is "How many miles between sundials would one count as the same time?" Because technically, you could have hundreds of sundials telling time and be accurate, but somewhat impractical for all to be correct at the same moment.

Which brings us back to time zones. Utah will soon be considering whether or not to join the ranks with Arizona and Hawaii. Really?? I say to Utah, stay where you are at. I say to Arizona, Hawaii, and Samoa, get in the game and don't make this harder than it already is. Stick to the plan.

Now, if you want to vote to stay with or repeal Daylight Savings Plan for all of the U.S., that is another story. Benjamin Franklin, I have to disagree with you. Winter was made for a reason and you "do not fool with Mother Nature", so you have to leave Summer alone. All 4 seasons should be treated equally, at least when dealing with clocks and telling time (Truth be told, Spring is my favorite, how about you?).
I wish we did not have Daylight Savings Time. By deleting it, we get back at least in part to the sundial, children don't walk to school in the dark, and our "body clocks" get back to a natural rhythm they once had. All I need now is a mini sundial wristwatch.

No comments:

Post a Comment