Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Working Wednesday: Connecting the Dots

There has been a common thread throughout my pay check years. I am a person who likes to Connect the Dots. It is similar to the thought that we are 8 people away from knowing everyone else, only I work specifically with business sectors. Right now I need to know a little bit about a lot of resources, especially for small and medium sized companies. I don't have to be a subject matter expert, BUT I do have to know who is, how to access, and how to connect the business with that expert. Those can come from their own town, county, or a state-wide resource. Generally they are public sector or non-profit organizations who gladly assist a business.

Ever drive through a small town without even a traffic light? It seems to me the town is all along the same street, one building after another.  Is it just naturally the way a town comes along? If you had a business, would you play it safe or would you be the one to "jump" across the road and build first?

At some point there are enough people with a variety of skills to make it a community. I remember traveling across Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois in the Summer. Each town we passed by had signs up about their annual festival - Strawberry, Sunflower, Corn, etc. Each one had at least one baseball diamond with Little League teams playing with adult volunteer coaches. Those are the communities that have heart and can prosper.

In order to stay successful, they need businesses, employers, employees, products, and/or services. They may need someone like me who loves to Connect the Dots and help with their brainstorming sessions when they are ready to expand or perhaps a bit of triage ideas to get patched up, and moving again.

I am just wondering if there are others like myself who Connect the Dots, businesses who have been connected to a public sector/non-profit organization resource successfully, or a community resource who has a great story to tell. Would love to hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment